Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Day 5

     Its been rather easy so far to keep track of what day I'm on. Day 5! I don't even feel like I'm on a work-out regimen and that's wonderful considering that I am. I've lost an inch around my hips already. Its such a great feeling to be successful in something. I'm not one who reads self-help books, though this book Today is YOUR Day to Win has really been putting me in the mood of achieving goals; not just setting them.
     In my 5th day of hooping I've learned that watching a TV show and hooping around my waist for a half hour is a great way to work up a light sweat. I've done that two of my nights so far because I haven't had the time during the day to get outside to hoop all three types of hoops. The heavy hoop is great for exercise when the weather is bad outside, I just need to remember to stretch and move my joints to increase my range of motion.
     After the 3rd day I had a bit of a pain in the right side of my lower  back. It went away with a good night's rest, but I am very aware of back pain after my 36 hour labor with Zora. I never used to have it, and now it seems to plague me whenever I rely too heavily on my back for supporting my body. One of my other goals for hooping is to strengthen my lower back after my 9 months of hauling.
     I believe my back labor would have been much more painful had I not hula hooped throughout my pregnancy. It really wasn't that bad of pain. Actually, hooping helped me with a lot of the pain management as I had a natural birth. I imagined my body moving in circles along a vertical spiral as the pain swelled up and out my body. Hooping strengthens the lower back a great deal. I know that this pain I felt a few days ago was due to muscle being born, just as my  young girl made me feel pain through her birth. So despite the nuisance, its good news! I hope to feel little aches all over as my body tightens and becomes stronger.    
     I need to make up 100 calorie desserts for myself to enjoy. I don't deprive myself of dessert when I want it. I've tried several diets to lose weight after my baby was born. However, unlike some people who would opt for the low calorie foods or utilize portion control, I have been breastfeeding the past few months and I know it is essential that I NOT diet. Hmm, so how does one accomplish weightloss when they are simultaneously not supposed to deprive their body of nutrients?
     My answer was to follow a No Flour, No Sugar diet. I did follow it, quite strictly, for almost 3 months... but it only isolated me in a home with a vigorous bread lover, my fiancee, Harold. I would still bake him delicious treats, but not being able to enjoy them myself was difficult. I just pretended he wanted to eat all of it, so that I shouldn't sum up the desire to want any. However the No Flour, No Sugar diet was great at keeping my nutritional foods at a maximum. Sugar and Flour really are very nutrient-poor choices. I'm glad I did it for my young one.
    My new goals for hooping are to hoop for an entire song without dropping the hoop, either my twins, heavy, or standard. I'll start with a slow song because I usually throw my hoop off into the distance when I'm moving quickly and the hoop is flying all over the place. A slow, rhythmic song will make it easier to maintain hold. I can achieve this with the heavy hoop but the other two types are not as easy.
    I'll post my goals at the end of my posts a bit more obvious; like this:

Goals:hoop for an entire song without dropping the hoop, either my twins, heavy, or standard

Accomplishments:I discovered two new moves that I made up through flowing with my standard hoop. After doing a "jack rabbit" move, which is where you jump through the hoop as it moves from right to left then repeats, you jump completely out of the hoop, spin it along your vertical plane, then spin it towards you, but across your body and jump into it from the other side of your body....


I realize how confusing that sounds. Its so difficult to dictate a movement! Just try it yourself then don't be upset if I sound completely baffling. I'll have to embed a video of it so you can understand! Which is what I mean to do in the next week anyhow. Happy hoopin'
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment